To access “THE MUSIC OF SILENCE,” just click the link For Streaming Audio:
Directions for Your Experiment With the Music of Silence:
Find a block of time when you can be undisturbed for at least 5 minutes. The particular time and location are completely up to you, but you need to be able to focus on your surroundings.
Create a listening chart by labeling a narrow column on the far left TIME LAPSE and the much wider column on the right SOUNDS HEARD.
Now simply describe what you hear during 5 minutes. For example: TIME LAPSE SOUNDS HEARD 0:00 It’s around 10 PM on Monday evening. I’m in my kitchen making tea. The wind is whistling through a small crack in the window—high pitched, ghostly
0:10 The tea kettle starts to whistle too. A shriller pitch than the wind 0:15
I hear voices from another room. Sounds like the buzzing of bees.
At the end of 5 minutes, write a paragraph around these questions:
1. Did the same sounds keep repeating (wind howling, dogs barking, furnace rumbling)?
2. Or did they change, evolving into something new?
3. Would you describe your environment as a hi-fi or low-fisoundscape? Why?
4. How was your mood affected by what you heard?
5. Where there any surprises from this experiment?
We’d love to hear about your experience. Leave a comment here!